Greetings

Emotions and empathy

I don't really know how to write about this, but I will give it a try. So there is this whole "belief" that Aspies don't have empathy for other people. I do. I just don't always know how to show it. I can, sometimes, physically feel what you are feeling (for example: if you are feeling sick, so will I.) But with emotions, it is a bit of a "hit and miss" type of situation. I might feel that emotion, I might not. And if I do, I might not always express it. There might be a few reasons why I am not expressing it. One of them is that I simply don't know how to express that particular emotion. Another reason is that I am choosing to not express that emotion because I don't want to feel that emotion. Or I am feeling that emotion and just not expressing it. What also happens (sometimes) is that I think I am expressing an emotion (for example: I feel that I am frowning) when I am actually barely showing that emotion (my eyebrows are barely moving.)

 


"Happy" is a lot easier to express. And a lot easier to "mimic." But, again, sometimes I choose to not show it or don't show it as much as I think I am. Sometimes I think I am expressing my excitement very well but I get told "Really? You don't sound that excited."

 


I, generally, don't get angry. I get more frustrated, annoyed or upset. Something... big... would have to happen for me to get angry. But then it flies right past "anger" and arrives at "outburst of rage" and stays there for about an hour or two. Until I have calmed down.


Comments