Greetings

Is it okay?

 There is somethings I would like to know. When is it okay to correct someone? Is it okay to always correct someone?

I am asking because, when I correct someone about a fact, I get one of a few reactions:

  • I get told "For the sake of conversation!" Or "I'm not really into splitting hairs. It really doesn't do anything for me."
  • The other person gets angry with me
  • They make me feel like they don't believe me 
  • They start using the information that I have just given them (which almost never happens the first time round) or
  • The information is completely ignored. (This one usually happens.)
I asked this question (on facebook) yesterday but (as of the writing of this post) I didn't really get a clear answer. Maybe that is because there isn't a definitive answer, which I don't like. Maybe it depends on a few things, such as 
  • the information you are trying to impart on the person (or people). Is always correcting them really that important? To me, for some things, it is important. Saying that I run, with Zoe, for 5km, when we run nearly 6km, is insulting.
  •  the situation and 
  • the intented audience. Correcting a complete stranger, unless is it absolutely critical, is not a good idea and potentially life threatening. Correcting a family member, or friend, is much safer.
I tried correcting a certain family member about the new name of a bird. She kept on calling this bird a dikkop. I kept on telling her that it is now called a spotted thick-knee because of the thickness of its knees compared to the legs. 
Spotted thick-knee seen in a garden
A spotted thick-knee

At first, my information was treated like a joke. But I kept on going. Eventually she got angry with me and yelled "OKAY!" But she still didn't believe me. Another family member of mine normally says the "I'm not really into splitting hairs" options.

But I do know to not correct their grammar. But you can't hear grammar anyway.

Comments