Greetings

Myths



 I just had a quick look on Google and found this: It is a website with Autism myths. 

Here are the myths it had:

Autism is caused by vaccination.

That is been disproven, rubbished, thrown away, incinerated and scattered to the nine winds. I think that people were looking for something to blame and focused on the vaccination that their child got just before then. I'm not a doctor but even I know that things don't work that way.

Kids with autism don’t want to make friends.

Some of us don't want friends, some of us do want friends. The issue is that, in my case, it's not easy learning how to be a friend. That was a problem I had, and might still have. I didn't really have anyone to practise with. So when we do try and be friends, it goes very badly. We will make mistakes, say the wrong thing, do the wrong thing or take something the wrong way. And that doesn't help the situation at all. Add into the mix a social setting and it will not go very well, usually.

Children with autism can’t learn.


Autism is caused by bad parenting.

Bad aprenting can be blamed for alot of things, but this is not one of them. Many parents think that they have been terrible parents when were perfectly wonderful and their children are on the spectrum. And then you get parents who are just the worst kind of parents. They think they should win the "parent of the year" award. And their children become model citizens...or serial killers.

Just like Rain Man, people with autism have savant skills.

Some of us, absolutely. But absolutely not all of us. I, in a lot of  instances have a good memory. But that might be because of my Wikipedia-style brain. 

Comments