Greetings

Unconnected

 


People often say that people on the spectrum (such as me) add things, to a conversation, that aren't connected to the subject of the conversation. From their point of view, that might be true. It has been said, to me, before. I have been told that I add things to a conversation that have nothing to do with what everyone is talking about.

But have they ever thought about this:

To someone who is on the spectrum, that "addition" to the conversation is un related. But to the person who IS on the spectrum, it IS related in a way. This happens to me. In my mind, a connection has been made. 

Let me give you an example, even if it might be a bad one:

Person: I like (insert object here)

Me: That reminds of (insert other object here)

Person: Umm. Okay. That has nothing to do with what I said.

In my brain: Object no.1 is (insert whatever it was) which is then connected to something similar, which is then connected to something else that is similar. 

Some Aspie brains (such as mine) are sort-of like Wikipedia. You start off reading about one thing (for example: lawns) and, eventually, end-up learning about something else that is completely unrelated to what you originally went there to research (For example: Chocolate) Or, maybe, the YouTube videos that are suggested to you because of their algorithm.

I hope I helped.

Comments