Greetings

Certain family members

 I am sure lots of Aspies, and other people who are differently abled, have had experiences similar to this one. It could have been from a complete stranger, or from (as the title states) a family member. I have certain family members who think that, because I am an Aspie, they know what it's like to be an Aspie and that they know alot about being on they spectrum.

But, in actual fact, quite honestly...they don't. Sorry to say it, but they really don't.

Here is one example: 

About two weeks ago I asked for some help because my dog-walking schedule was, based on the pervious week's experience, going to affect the time I started making supper for everyone. Being an Aspie, I didn't like that very much. So, the night before I was due to walk those dogs again, I asked two family members for some help. It wasn't anything majorly difficult that I asked them to do. All I wanted them to do was turn the oven on and put the chips in the oven. That was all I needed them to do. Two little things to keep things on schedule. Little did I know that I would need a 15-point bulleted list defending the reasons that I wanted some help because "It's not that important that supper is on time." But it is to me, the very person who is making the meal. And then I was given some priceless "Advice" from one of them:

If I am getting frustrated, I should go outside and scream and yell.


Not only is that almost useless, I was a bit insulted. They did EVENTUALLY agree to help me with those two small things. But if someone else had asked for help with making a meal, they would've agreed much sooner. I just sometimes feel like I'm not part of the family anymore.


A little bit of information: our brains actually love routine.

Comments